Monday, January 31, 2011

There's a new kid in town.

My sweet precious little granddaughter, Josie is now a big sister!  Her new brother, Uriah Cole was born today.  She's no longer an only child.  I can't wait to visit and meet new baby brother! 

I wonder what it's like to have a sibling.  Josie now has someone that she is forever connected to in a way she is connected to no other.  They will share memories that will be just between the two of them.  They can joke about their parents and their childhood and all the memories that come from growing up together. 

I consider myself an only child.  I know that sounds strange to say I "consider" myself to be an only.  You either are or you aren't, right?  Well...kind of.  When someone asks me if I have any siblings, I hesitate with my answer.  If I'm looking for the short answer I will say no.  Let me explain.  My parents adopted a girl before I was born.  She was about 12 or 13 when I was born and left home when she turned 18.  To this day, I really have never heard the entire story or much about her.  My mother does not like to talk about it.  So she was really only around the first 5 or 6 years of my life.  I think I should have memories of her, but I don't.  Funny, but the only thing I remember clearly was her clothes in the dresser that was in our room.  So I was pretty much raised as an only child and I am an only biological child.  I grew up wondering how it would be if I had a brother or sister. 

Of course being an only child has advantages that I'm sure other kids dreamed about.  Always your own room.  No one trying to take your toys.  All the attention.  Everything is yours.  But on the other hand, there is no one to share stories with.  Someday when my parents are gone, there isn't anyone for me to talk about growing up with.  The memories are mine alone...just another thing that an only child has all to herself. 

So I am glad that Josie has a brother.  I hope and pray they make many good and fun memories together and will always be friends.  Welcome to the world, little boy. 

1 comment: