Monday, January 24, 2011

My mind is an 8-Track.

Marty got a phone call from our pastor tonight and I was trying to signal to him to ask our pastor something while he had him on the phone.  Apparently, Marty can either listen to who is on the phone or to me but not to both at the same time.  Strange.

I wonder what it would feel like to only have one thought in your head at a time.  Ladies...you know what I'm talking about.  I can be working and simultaneously making notes to myself on ten things I need to do after I'm done working.  At my old job I could be on the phone with an insurance company, filing a claim online, answering a question from one of the girls at the front desk and folding and mailing paper claims all at the same time.  Why only do one thing at a time? 

A while back I read a book called "For Women Only:  What You Need to Know About the Inner Lives of Men".  I think one of the most eye opening things I learned was that most men only think of a single thing at a time.  They are not multitaskers.  If they are watching a football game, they are only thinking about watching that football game.  They aren't thinking about how many calories the chip dip is and what to make for dinner and that the carpet needs vacuumed and how does a buffalo stay warm when it gets below zero and when are you going to file the taxes online and that your fingernails need filed and you need to call your friend for lunch plans and....well that's pretty much how it goes and that's just about 30 seconds worth of thoughts.  I can't even imagine how it would be to shut that off for a little while.  I don't think it even shuts off when we sleep. 

I just love how men and women are created so differently and yet so complimentary.  God has made us to think and feel for the tasks we have to accomplish in life.  Mothers need to be multitaskers.  Just read Proverbs 31 and look at all the things the woman does.  Selects fabric, makes clothes, gets up before everyone else and prepares food, buys real estate, plants fields, stays up late into the night, decorates her home, runs a business.  All this while the man takes his seat at the city gate.  Well, give him a break, he can only do one thing at a time.  

Now I know that in today's society, sometimes the roles of men and women are blurred.  A man can take care of a house and baby.  A women can be a CEO.  But I think it does us good to remember that we really are wired differently.  Don't moan and complain about the way a man is different...embrace it and marvel at it.  I thank God for my husband and I love to observe him just being a man.  

Remember one of those other Proverbs women...Proverbs 21:9 and 25:24 which both say...Better to dwell in the corner of a housetop, than in a house shared with a contentious women.  

Well, see there is a perfect example of my many tracked mind.  I think I went off in an entirely different direction from where I started.  Now how could that happen?   

2 comments:

  1. If thoughts were PEZ, men's brains are PEZ dispensers. Women's brains are like a punchbowl of PEZ. I've eaten PEZ both ways, and I'll stick with the dispenser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is where I think Leroy and I weird... Leroy can sit there and play Uno on the XBox while he is watching a game AND looking up how much his Baseball cards are worth so he can sort them. Me on the other hand, if I am reading something I can't concentrate on what he is saying to me. I have to stop what I am doing to listen to him. So maybe our roles are a little reversed from the traditional ones, but we still balance each other out perfectly. He is different than me, we are different from MANY couples, and we are perfectly happy that way. :o)

    PS. I want some PEZ now

    ReplyDelete