Saturday, January 15, 2011

Open and Shut Case

I wonder why I find such comfort in organization?  I need things to be in their proper place.  I feel anxiety when I know a closet is in chaos.  It's as if I can sense it behind the closed door telling me that it needs to be stacked and sorted and labeled.  I start to feel overwhelmed when there are too many things out of place. 

Here I go again on the nature vs. nurture thing.  I really do wonder about that quite a bit.  It intrigues me.  Have my children inherited some of my tendencies by imitation or just because they have my genes?  Not too long ago, my mother said something that made me laugh to myself.  She was straightening up some papers and items on the table and said...I'd better put this stuff back the way it was because Dad likes things lined up.  Funny how a little comment like that can hit you.  I had never really thought about my need for organization being something that was passed on from my dad.  But I suppose it is.  I do like things lined up and at their proper angles.

Maybe it's the German in us.   Watch this gameshow!

So I wonder about my granddaughter, Josie.  Tom posted a video of her just running around the house going about her toddler business.  I didn't catch it at first, but Bethany commented on it.  At one point, she stops jumping on her bed and climbs off to shut a drawer.  Wow, did that ever remind me of myself.  I like to have drawers and cabinets properly shut.  So have I passed my love for order on to my granddaughter?  


Is there anything you see in yourself that comes from your parents?  Or anything in your children or grandchildren that is like you? 

5 comments:

  1. Ugh... I just wrote a really long comment and pressed the wrong button and lost all of it. MEH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm trying to remember what I was saying...

    There are a lot of things I see in myself that come from you and/or Daddy. I kinda love that about myself though. It's like I carry a part of you guys wherever I go. It reminds me of a family legacy. I got a trait from you that you got from one of your parents, and your parent got that trait from one of their parents, and so on. So in that respect, that part of who we are never dies. I don't know if that sounds corny or not.

    Leroy laughs at me all the time over my constant obsession with organization. Sometimes I can't sleep and I have to wake up and organize or label something in the craft room. Then I feel better. What did I spend some of my Christmas money on this year? Oh that's right... more furniture with storage and organization capabilities. I know why I am that way... thanks, Mommy! And I do not mean that as a sarcastic, "Oh gee, thanks", but really, thanks. I love having a place for everything and everything in its place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this one is more nature than nurture. At least for me. I'm not much like Dad when it comes to keeping things clean. I think it has something to do with how my mind works, it just can't operate if things are a mess. If it could, I probably wouldn't care about being organized.

    The Josie thing - that video was kind of a rare thing. She's good at putting things away when you ask her to, but she rarely does it on her own. All toys are out during the day most of the time. Maybe that's the first trigger of her needing to organize something so she can keep having fun.

    I feel like it hit me more as an adult. I have a lot more responsibilities and so I have to keep track of them and I can't do that if things aren't in their right place.

    I also think it's our culture. We live some of the most (unnecessarily) complex lives in the world. If we had less things and did fewer things every day, there would be less anxiety over things getting out of place.

    This morning's teaching at church was about anxiety. Let God worry about tomorrow, there's enough to worry about today. The message will be posted on tuesday I think, if you wanna listen. Good stuff.

    http://www.rockharbor.org/media/rh-message-archive/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I figured out how to get notified if someone comments here. There's a button below to "subscribe" to this post.

    ReplyDelete