Sunday, January 9, 2011

Larry, Curly and Moe

We attend church in a theater.  One of those old 1920's style theaters with a balcony and stage that is now a movie theater.  As I was sitting up in the balcony this morning, I started thinking about that theater.

I wondered about the whole concept of entertainment.  What entertains us is so varied.  Personally, I don't think The Three Stooges are all that funny but they really make Marty laugh.  And Marty isn't so entertained by Untold Stories of the ER or any of the other medical shows that I love to watch on TLC.  But most of our taste in entertainment is mutual.  Steve Martin and Captain Kirk.  King of the Hill and Clint Eastwood.  Arrested Development and Yoda. 

What do you suppose one did for entertainment way back in biblical times?  I was trying to think of examples from the Bible and off the top of my head there is mention of singing and dancing.  Maybe the amount of entertainment needed in ones life is relative to their leisure time.  You hear about kings having a court jester but the average peasant probably didn't have time for that.  Too much time spent surviving.  I just have this picture of people thousands of years ago sitting around the fire in their yurt and one of them stands up and says...A yak walks into a bar.....

So as society finds itself with more and more leisure time entertainment has evolved.  Look how much more options we have to fritter away time with than our parents did.  Some of our parents are old enough to have only had a radio to listen to for fun.  Kids actually went outside and improvised for fun.  My dad said they had an old wagon axle with two wheels and they would sit on the axle and ride down hills.  He also broke his leg jumping out of a barn so that maybe didn't turn out to be as entertaining as he had hoped.  Anyway...something to think about.  

How long do you think you could last without all your favorite methods of entertainment?  What alternate and maybe more fulfilling means of entertaining yourself could you find to do?  Read a book perhaps or finish a project you have set aside?  

3 comments:

  1. "I have to entertain."


    "The love, for me, right now, is in Miami."

    Entertainment is pretty fulfilling for me because I've made a career out of it. Playing a game or watching a movie, while it still entertains me, it also makes me thing about how I can do my job better. Yeah, I'm an artist and whatnot (Hank Hill voice), but mainly I'm an entertainer. The big question we ask at work is "Is this fun?". Looking pretty isn't as important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I read this in the morning and just now it hits me where that quote is from! I think I'm gonna go bite my pillow.
    And yeah...it is funny to see how the way you watch movies changed after you went to college. You always point out things that I never would think about. It's kind of like when I hear someone say they have a headache and I think...784.0

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were a medical coder Jill.

    ReplyDelete