Friday, January 14, 2011

Just Sit Right Back and You'll Hear a Tale

I am a product of pop culture.  When I look back over my life, I can see the influences at any age.  Star Trek, Flintstones, Gomer Pyle, Welcome Back Kotter, Land of the Lost, Johnny Quest, Pink Panther, The Partridge Family, Baretta, Bonanza.  I could go on.  And that's just the 70's...and a little 60's.  I don't even want to start on 80's pop culture.  So this is part of what shapes my thoughts.  Things in real life bring to mind movies and TV shows.  I quote movies to be funny.  I quote movies to make a point.  Pop culture references are part of what Marty and I have in common and makes us get along so well.  I have a song or quote for almost every circumstance.  When I read the Bible, I picture Charlton Heston as Moses. 

My cousin married an Amish girl.  She's no longer part of the Amish community but hasn't been part of our culture for very long.  Her childhood was so very different from mine.  She didn't play with Barbies or come home from school and watch the After School Special.  She doesn't have a photo album full of pictures of her as a baby.  She never had a crush on David Cassidy. She can shoot a rabbit and cook it for dinner. 

We've never met but I was thinking about her and wondering.  Would we be friends?  We don't have common backgrounds.  But we are both women.  We cook and clean and take care of homes.  We love and laugh and cry.  We just might have things we could share with each other.  If I could share a bit of my world with her I wonder what it might be?  Maybe make a photo album, watch a good movie, go to the theater and see Les Miserables.  Or maybe simply a walk in the woods and talk about life.

What would you share from your life? 

4 comments:

  1. I was sure I posted this, but again. I had a crush on Susan Dey and collected Partridge Family cards. I live in Amish country but I do not have a Barbie doll, my kid does. 60's icons, what about Clutch Cargo and Paddlefoot as well as 8-Man. Ah, you can get a rabbit... CALL HER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get pop culture references and I like talking to you :)

    I don't know what she would like just based on knowing she was once Amish, but I like it when everyone brings their knitting or sewing or whatever they do to work on, makes it easy to talk to people that I don't have much in common with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in line at the hospital cafeteria and saw "pork chops" on the menu. In my best Humphry Bogart impersonation I said, "Pork-chopshsss and applesaush", thinking all of the (much younger) medical students and interns around me would get a kick out of it. They all looked at me as if I was from Saturn and speaking Chinese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend from Turkey. There was a bunch of us at a picnic once and another friend's dad asked some of the people in the group this question, "Did you have toys when you were a child?" What a bazaar question, right? Her answer: No. Well, they had a ball in the yard. And her husband said he was not allowed to ride a bike because his mother was afraid he might get hurt. Amazing, huh? The great thing is, we had already been friends for a while and had discussed all sorts of things from books to food to life in Turkey. And you're right - Women have so much in common already, just because we are women.

    ReplyDelete