Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Here I Raise My Ebenezer

We keep our house cold.  That's just how it is here in Western PA in the winter.  (And by winter I mean September through May)   Last night, Marty was joking that he needed a nightcap, like Scrooge, because since he got his hair cut, his head feels so cold at night.  Then he wondered why nightcaps were pointy and had a tassel at the end.  I don't know.  My guess was maybe you could keep the long pointed end over your ear and face and the tassel would give it enough weight to hold it in place.  Maybe. 

Of course this led me to think about Scrooge and that made me think Ebenezer and that made me think of Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.  My Bible has a footnote about Raising Your Ebenezer.  It's in I Samuel 7:12.  Samuel set up a stone and called it Ebenezer which means "stone of help".  It was to remind the Israelites of the Lord's help in their victory over the Philistines.  I like that idea.  It wouldn't have to be a stone.  You might have other objects that remind you of a time when God helped you through a particular rough time in your life. 

Do you have any Ebenezer's in your house?  I challenge you to find a special rock and put it in your garden or flowerbed and when you look at it, thank God for all He has done for you. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that our God encouraged memorials, remembering, all through the Old Testament.
    In our churches Family Ministry we did something similar with rocks and sharpies. The kids (and adults) could write something they were thankful to God for on a little rock and add it to a pile. I think its so important to look back and see what God has done for us. Now I need to go rock hunting!

    ReplyDelete