Saturday, January 29, 2011

Back in the USSR.

I've been working on a photo album for Marty with all his Navy pictures.  I actually made it for him for a gift several years ago and presented it unfinished.  I'm trying to finish it now.  I am currently putting in photos of Moscow.   There are quite a few pictures of a military parade.   Cold War military might at it's best.   Lots of tanks and missiles and such.  In one picture there is a soldier looking at the camera with a big grin on his face. 

I started to wonder what his life might have been like.   Russia in 1989.  The Soviet Union.  Nearing the end of the Cold War.  I think of Moscow as cold and gloomy.  I imagine living in one of those huge architecturally bland communist housing blocks.  The average sized 2 bedroom apartment in Moscow is 485 square feet.  I read a statistic that stated Russia has over 500,000 alcohol related deaths per year as compared to 75,000 in the US.  I don't really know how that works out percentage wise, but it's been a notorious problem in Russia throughout their history.  So I'm imagining a gloomy life for that smiling young soldier.  

I hope that it wasn't really as bad as I think.  The sun does also shine in Moscow.  People live and love and have families like the rest of the world.  Maybe his smile continued on for many years.  I only know that I am glad that I live in the United States and not in Russia. 

I like to look at photos and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment