Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hummingbirds

I wonder how it took me until just now to notice that the border of my blog was hummingbirds?  I'm new to this blogging thing so when I created it, I just picked a random template and honestly, I can't believe I didn't notice this.  Not that I have anything against hummingbirds, but I'm usually not into cutesie kind of stuff.  I would have picked something geometric or something strange like skulls.  Maybe if I spend some time playing around with this I just might change it. 

I like hummingbirds in real life though.  Pretty amazing how they find those feeders.  A couple of years ago I was putting out the feeder for the first time that season and I opened up the back door and stepped outside with it and was promptly buzzed by one of them.  It took them all of 2 seconds to find the feeder that year.  They are pretty amazing to watch.  And think about it...they are birds, eagles are birds but look at the differences.  I wonder about God creating birds sometimes.  Don't you think that some of them are here for no other purpose than to bring us pleasure?  We can enjoy looking at them and hearing them sing.  I find it comforting to watch birds.  I had a friend who used to refer to me as Miss Hathaway. 

One time I was watching some turkey vultures fly around over the strip mine.  Now these have to be the UGLIEST birds on the planet but when they fly they are transformed into the most beautiful creatures.  They soar and glide and make it look so effortless and graceful.  Kind of like us in some ways.  We may be ugly and not very nice but God can take us and transform us and make us beautiful. 

Where are you today?  Are you a turkey vulture sitting on a pile of rocks or are you soaring above the clouds? 

1 comment:

  1. I like the hummingbird background. It's subtle and soothing I think. I usually see backgrounds that are too garish and hurt my eyes. I think you should keep it. And I thought you did it on purpose since you have a love for hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete