Thursday, January 27, 2011

Happy is as happy does.

I saw that Oprah was going to have a show about happiness.  I didn't watch it but it prompted me to wonder about what she might consider that to mean.  And to wonder what that means to me.  Or maybe what it should mean. 

Our culture would have us think that things and stuff will make us happy.  Maybe it does for a brief while but when that wears off it leaves us with discontent instead.  I think happiness really comes from choosing to be happy in whatever situation you may be in.  Of course, I realize that is not always an easy thing to do.  Sometimes it's a lot easier to just be miserable. 

I am reminded of a book Tom liked when he was little.  The title was Fortunately Unfortunately.  In the book things happened to a boy like...unfortunately, he fell out of the airplane.  Fortunately, he had a parachute.  Unfortunately, there was a hole in the parachute.  Fortunately, there was a haystack on the ground.  Unfortunately, there was a pitchfork in the haystack...and on it goes.  But it's kind of like that with happiness.  We can look at the fortunately side of things and be happy or dwell on the unfortunately and be sad.  Optimism or pessimism.  Contentment or discontent.  

Working from home makes me happy.  Having to work 40 hours a week doesn't.  Having a warm house makes me happy.  Cold and snow outside doesn't.  Losing 5 pounds makes me happy.  Not eating cookies every day doesn't.  My kids make me happy.  Them living so far away doesn't.  Josie makes me happy.  Not getting to hug her every day doesn't.  So I really think we can choose to look at our blessings and be happy with them.  I'm trying. 

Proverbs 16:20 says...And whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he. 

Philippians 4:11 says...for I have learned in whatever state I am in, to be content. 

I want to choose to remember that and be happy with the blessings in my life.  I hope you will choose to be happy, too.     

No comments:

Post a Comment