Friday, January 28, 2011

There is no try.

I've been wondering why my back hurts so much.  Granted, I do sit in a chair all day in front of the computer...do you think that could be it?   Well, yes...but I've been feeling extremely uncomfortable in my office chair as of late.  Today I just couldn't stand it anymore.  I thought...this chair didn't bother me so much when I first got it, why is it so bad now?   I got up out of my seat and examined my chair.  Oops.  The adjustment that makes the seat back higher or lower had slipped and was too low so the lumbar support was in the wrong place.  How long had it been that way?   Months, probably. 

So I started thinking about how many things that I complain about or make me feel bad physically are partially or even completely self-inflicted.  My back hurt because I didn't adjust my chair properly.  My legs ache from sitting all day but if I exercise regularly, they feel better.  My stomach feels upset and I get heartburn but if I eat healthy food and cut out the junk, I feel fine.  I complain about things I need to get done but waste my spare time watching dumb stuff on TV.  I take a pill for high cholesterol because it's easier than changing my diet.  (I'm working on that one.) 

I used to be really confused when I would read in Romans 7 where Paul is talking about not doing what he knows he should be doing. I've always thought of that as the Yoda passage.  The word "do" is in there a lot.  In verses 15-21, I counted it 16 times.  But it's funny because where this used to confuse me, it suddenly makes perfect sense.  "For what I will to do, that I do not practice, but what I hate, that I do."   So Paul struggled with the same kinds of things.   I know what I need to do but I don't always do it.  "For what I will to do"...work on fun projects around the house..."that I do not practice,"...."but what I hate,".....sitting around watching TV...."that I do."   

It really seems so clear.   Now to make the change.   And I need to apply that to my spiritual life as well...as the passage was intended.   I'm pretty sure Paul wasn't talking about watching TV here.  Actually, I need to start with the spiritual and I bet the physical would get better as well. 

To sum it all up....Do, or do not.  There is no try.  

.

No comments:

Post a Comment