Sunday, February 6, 2011

Two for the price of one.

To you my loyal readers. (both of you)  No I did not forget to blog nor did I have a day without wondering.  I simply fell asleep on the couch last night which rendered me incapable of clearing my head enough to write.  That's what happens when I try to stay up past 10:00. 

Yesterday we went to the movies to see The King's Speech.  I think this may have been the first drama we ever went to see.  An entire movie without any shooting or explosions.  Imagine.  I think Marty felt like he owed this to me.  Not that I don't want to see the movies with the shooting and explosions, but on occasion I would like to see something a little more cerebral. 

What struck me most about this movie was simply that it made me look at royalty from a different angle.  I'm not one to be moonstruck by actors or other famous people.  I don't make it a habit to know what is going on in their lives.  Actually I think I just have dismissed royalty altogether as spoiled rich people who think themselves better than everyone else.  I never really thought about their position from their point of view.  The movie made me wonder what it would really be like to live like they do.  Sure, all the fancy homes and food and clothes and travel would be nice.  But what about not having any real friends or being raised by nannies and governesses?  What about not being able to just go out for a walk or to the store?  How would it be to be raised to think you really were above the "common man"?  How would it be to feel like you really couldn't trust anyone because they are only nice to you so they could get something from you?  I just wouldn't want that kind of life. 

Romans 13:1 says there is no authority except from God and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.  Kings and royalty should have our respect for that reason alone.  And maybe they could use a little empathy on our part as well.  On the other hand, sometimes a king can be a despicable tyrant who needs to be removed.  OK, so I am rambling now...back to the movie.  I liked it.  And for the record, it was the story of George VI (the current Queen Elizabeth's) father and his problem with stuttering and how he overcame it as well as became king in place of his brother Edward (who famously abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson).  Just to clarify...so you don't think the movie was as boring as my blog today.

As for today...this morning in Sunday School someone brought up how the priests used to have bells on their robes and a rope tied to their leg when they went into the Holy of Holies.  That way if the bells stopped, they would know the priest was dead and could pull him out.  So I wondered if this was the origin of the phrase "with bells on".  Possibly, but apparently it's not sure where the phrase came from.  At least according to my Google search.  There are several possibilities including it referring to sailor's bell bottoms, bells on the collars of harnesses of horses.  The latter seems to be the main contender since it would fit the meaning of the phrase best.  To be there with bells on implies eagerness.  So my guess about the priests robes seems a little off.  Oh well, can't learn if you don't wonder. 

So all in all, a pretty boring two for the price of one blog about my inane wonderings.  Sometimes you get what you paid for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment