Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dream a Little Dream

I work 40 hours a week from home.  I sit and stare at the computer all day and read x-ray reports.  So you would think that the weather would not effect my work.  It did.  There are also people who work part time for the company I work for.  They code a few hours a night after their regular jobs to earn extra money.  Well apparently, several of them did not have to go to their regular jobs due to the big storm across the country.  So they logged in and worked during the day since they were home.  Good for them, bad for me.  I only managed to work 5 hours yesterday because they logged in and took all my work.  All this to say...I just worked 11 hours straight to make up for it. 

I feel like my eyes might fall out of my head.  So I need to keep this short and be off to bed.  And I really didn't have time today to wonder much except what diagnosis code to use. 

I'm not sure what prompted it, but I did wonder about dreams.  I don't usually remember too much of my dreams.  Marty is good for remembering unusually long dreams that have lots of things going on.  I'm lucky to remember one detail.  But the other night I do remember dreaming that I was at my old job at Radiology Associates (which was 1994-2000) and there were 8 patients scheduled for fluoro exams and I only had 4 barium enema bags and for some reason I was unable to do Upper GI's and so I was looking at the schedule and trying to figure out who scheduled that many and why they even scheduled any UGI's when I specifically said that we could no longer do them.  So I said I would check with Dr. Allen (who passed away last year) and I went to ask him about the Upper GI's and he walked into another room before I could ask him and I could see him through a frosted glass window but couldn't talk to him.  So what does this all mean?  I have no idea. 

I wonder what dreams are all about.  I can't say I've ever had a dream with any particular significance.  But some people do.  There are important examples of dreams in the Bible.  There are recurring themes in dreams that are supposed to mean something...like being chased or falling.  Your teeth falling out is supposed to signify anxiety.  (I used to have that one frequently).  I read that Abraham Lincoln dreamed of his own assassination.  The inventor of the sewing machine had a dream that solved a problem he had been trying to figure out with his invention.  I looked up dreams on Wikipedia and there are a lot of interesting ideas and scientific and psychological theories about dreams.  But since I have such a great need to go to sleep and dream right now myself, I will let you read that on your own. 

The study of dreams is called oneirology. 

Have any crazy dreams you'd like to share?  

3 comments:

  1. Great, now I'm going to start dreaming about my teeth falling out, as if I don't have enough weird dreams that make me all restless... or maybe I remember the dreams when I'm already restless.

    My weirdest dream was one I had over and over as a child, walking along a barbed-wire fence, a white building, and an angry bull on the other side of the fence. It would run after me. Sometimes it would get me, sometimes I'd wake up being chased and other times my dad would come save me. What's weird was more recently my grandma told me a story from her childhood and all her details were just like my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is weird. I wonder if maybe you heard her tell that story when you were little, like Paul's age, and somehow that triggered your childhood dreams. If not, then it's double weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I'm hoping its from, but even that is kind of weird that I'd remember all those details and dream about them for years.

    ReplyDelete